Friday, September 07, 2007

Shop 'Til You Drop

So. This is an embarrassing post, because it's an embarrassing situation. Let me just quickly say that Dima is officially my favorite person in the universe. And I am officially .... not cool.

I was so proud of myself earlier today, too. I actually managed to feed myself! I cooked noodles, put a bunch of sauce on them and voila! my first meal in my new home! I sent everybody I know giant letters about how much I rock, and how super competent I am. And then Dima, bless her soul, agreed to go shopping with me (we both had to go to Jarir and Panda so we decided to do a joint trip even though her stuff took a lot less time than mine did - she's friendly like that).

So we went to Jarir, we went to Panda and... wow. We had both forgotten that school starts TOMORROW. So everyone in the universe was out getting school supplies from Jarir and groceries from Panda. And add on top of that the fact that Ramadan starts at the end of this week and.... well, it was a madhouse. The largest quantity of Saudis I've seen in one shopping mall in a while... and that's saying something.

And I guess the combo of all of this got to me in the end because as we stood in the checkout line, after an hour of shoving our way through people and looking for groceries, I started to feel dizzy. And then I was dreaming happily...and then I was being rudely reawakened by Dima, since I had passed out on the floor. And then I was dreaming again. And then I was passed out. And then I was sitting in the makeup aisle while Dima ran to get me a couple of little bottles of orange juice, which I chugged sitting on the floor. And then... well, then I was fine, and we bought the stuff, and brought it up here, and whatnot and... here I am.

This happened once to my sister in the gold souq in Riyadh. Only she got a giant gold bracelet out of it, and I just had to pay for all of my groceries. Good times. At least the floor in the makeup aisle was cleaner than the floor of the shop in the gold souq.

A good time, overall. Especially the dreaming bits. I feel like they were interesting dreams, if only I could remember them.

So. As Dima said afterwards, "Talk about shop 'til you drop!"

Amen, sister.

No comments: