Saturday, March 11, 2006

Al-Jazeera

Because I'm such a very studious person, I'm sitting here in my jet-laggedness watching al-Jazeera's presentation on the death of Milosevic. I notice two things. First of all, Al-Jazeera looks and sounds like a Western news station much more than most Arabic news that I've seen. Secondly, they pronounce Serbian names in a much more Serbian fashion than I think we do in English.

My roommate always used to claim that the Japanese pronounce foreign words in a way closer to the original pronunciation, and thus that American pronunciations were wrong. I wonder whether that's actually true, and I wonder where Arabic fits in the scale of remaining true to native pronunciations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's me! On the note of Turkey, did I tell you that Brokeback Mountain's pirated copies are titled loosely along the line of "Faggot Cowboys" in Turkey? Well, it was Secrets of the Mountain in Argentina.