Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Story Time!

Faisal and the New Revival

I bought a beautiful, fabulous, amazing set of lovely Arabic children's books about the history of Saudi Arabia, and, in an effort to improve myself I am going to translate them here. I guarantee that my translations will not be perfect, or even almost perfect, but they will probably get the gist and, more importantly (to me) it will be really good practice! I'll post the translation along with pictures of the pages that have pictures. So that everyone can enjoy them! There are three series of ten. The first series is entitled, roughly, Faisal and the New Revival.

Book One: The Early Genius

A Perfect Cultured Masculinity

"An incomparable human, wealth did not make him vain, power did not blind him, and luxury did not seduce him. He remained a great man, with all of the noble meaning and generous feeling that this word carries. Giving virtue the first place in his life, he lived in tranquility, piety and justice. He did not smoke, drink or gamble, and did not involve himself in worldly affairs. He never had more than one woman, and he did not marry his second wife Queen Effat, with whom he shared forty years of love ending in his death, until his first wife had passed away. With his two wives he had eight sons. He represents perfect cultured masculinity."

It goes on from there, but I will continue with the story later! Needless to say, as someone familiar with Effat College, the namesake of the above-mentioned Queen Effat, the story of King Faisal is of great interest to me.

Mommy's tired, children. Goodnight!

No comments: